Twenty-five area students will receive help paying for college through a total of $90,600 in awards from scholarship funds at the Cattaraugus Region Community Foundation.
“Scholarships through the Community Foundation continue to make an important difference in the lives of our area students,” said Karen Niemic Buchheit, Community Foundation executive director.
“We’d like to publicly thank our scholarship donors for their role in helping students today attend the college of their choice and begin the next phase of their life with an extra measure of support,” Ms. Buchheit added.
The 2012 awardees include the following.
John J. Murphy Family Scholarship recipients:
• Alexa Donner of Allegany-Limestone High School, pursuing Marketing and Public Relations at Baldwin-Wallace College;
• Lindsey Forness of Allegany-Limestone High School, pursuing Forensic Accounting at Edinboro University;
• Jacquelyn Halladay of Great Valley (home school), pursuing Nursing at Liberty University;
• Amy Ruth of Randolph Central High School, pursuing Nursing at Virginia Commonwealth University;
• Kimberly Sklener of Allegany-Limestone High School, pursuing Biological Sciences at University of Pittsburgh; and
• Kyle Trietley of Allegany-Limestone High School, pursuing Business Administration at Methodist University.
Established through a grant from the Communities Foundation of Texas, this scholarship is named in honor of John J. Murphy, Olean native and former president of Dresser Industries, Inc. This is a $10,000 scholarship, with $2,500 awarded per year for up to four years.
Ralph A. Anastasia Music Scholarship recipients:
• Stephen Ahl of Olean High School, pursuing Theater and History at Penn State University, and
• Jordan Weed of Olean High School, pursuing Criminal Justice at Jamestown Community College
Established in memory of long-time musician and life-long Olean resident Ralph A. Anastasia by his children and grandchildren, this is a one-time award of $2,500 for each student.
Jonathan Teuscher Scholarship recipients:
• Christian Blanchard of Archbishop Walsh Academy, pursuing Criminal Justice at University of Pittsburgh at Bradford;
• Aysha Brunner of Hinsdale Central School, pursuing Business at Alfred State;
• Danielle Merry of Portville Central School, pursuing Nursing at JCC in Olean;
• Martha Ruether of Allegany-Limestone High School, pursuing Psychology at Lake Erie College; and
• Stephanie Samuel of Olean High School, pursuing Biology/Pre Med at St. Bonaventure University.
Established by Steven and Donna Teuscher in memory of their son, Jonathan, this scholarship is awarded to a graduate who has faced challenges while maintaining a positive attitude. Each student receives a $2,500 scholarship, $625 per year over four years.
Olean Business Institute/McCarthy Scholarship recipient:
• Peter Kurzdorfer of Olean, pursuing a paralegal degree at OBI.
A $2,000 award, given through the Catherine M. Cridler Trust, this scholarship is awarded to a student from New York or Pennsylvania who currently attends or plans to attend OBI.
Burt Scholarship Recipients:
• Melinda Drabant of Hinsdale Central School, pursuing Forensic Psychology at Niagara University;
• Matthew Giudice of Allegany-Limestone High School, pursuing Music at St. Bonaventure University;
• Abigail MacWilliams of Olean High School, pursuing Secondary Education at Slippery Rock University; and
• Alexis Wilson of Portville Central School, pursuing Graphic Design at High Point University.
Established by the First Presbyterian Church of Olean Burt Committee in memory of Dr. Rudy Burt, this $1,000 award for each student is given based on a student’s financial need.
Hinsdale Alumni Association Memorial Scholarship Recipient:
• Melinda Drabant of Hinsdale Central School, pursuing Forensic Psychology at Niagara University.
Established by the Hinsdale Alumni Association, this $1,000 scholarship is awarded to graduating seniors at Hinsdale Central School.
Pat McGee Nursing Scholarship Recipients:
• Lacey Lancaster of Cuba-Rushford High School, pursuing Nursing at JCC in Olean, and
• Danielle Merry of Portville Central School, pursuing Nursing at JCC in Olean.
Established through the Pat McGee Endowment, this fund is named in memory of the former New York State Senator representing the 57th district. Each student will receive $800.
Mohammed & Sakeena Iqbal Health Care Award Recipient:
• Claire Porterfield of Allegany-Limestone High School, pursuing Biology at Allegheny College.
Established by Drs. Ahmad and Naheed Hilal in memory of Dr. Naheed Hilal’s parents, this $500 scholarship is for a senior from Allegany-Limestone High School, ranked in the top 25 percent of the class, entering a discipline related to the medical field.
Kothari Family Fund Healthcare Scholarship Recipient:
• Sarah Linza of Allegany-Limestone High School, pursuing Biochemistry at Hobart and William Smith College.
Established by Drs. Ashok and Yogini Kothari, this $500 scholarship is awarded to an Allegany-Limestone senior based on major, financial need and SAT scores.
Otto/Otto-Eldred Alumni Scholarship Recipient:
• Chalina Dubetsky of Otto-Eldred High School, pursuing Nursing at Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Established by the Otto/Otto-Eldred Alumni Association, this $500 scholarship is given to seniors graduating from Otto-Eldred High School.
Mark J. Prockton Memorial Scholarship Recipient:
• Benjamin Brucker of Hamburg High School, pursuing Electrical Engineering at Case Western Reserve University.
This $500 scholarship if for a Hamburg High senior who has lettered in track and has the highest GPA on the team. It was established in memory of Mark J. Prockton by his brothers.
Norman J. “Pete” Schussele Scholarship Recipient:
• Alicia Broadbent of Olean High School, pursuing Biology/Pharmacy at St. Bonaventure University.
Established in memory of “Pete” Schussele by his family, this $500 award goes to Olean High senior of good character who has grade averages above 85 percent and demonsrates financial aid.
Ben & Rose Schwabenbauer Educational Scholarship Recipient:
• Lauren Stevens of Olean High School, pursuing Elementary Education at SUNY Fredonia.
Established by Ben and Rose Schwabenbauer, former long-time teachers in the Olean City School District, this $500 scholarship is awarded to a graduating senior from either Olean High School or Otto-Eldred High School who will attend college to pursue Elementary Education.
JoAnn Wehmeyer English Scholarship Recipient:
• Karalyn Anastasia of Olean High School, an undeclared major, who will attend SUNY Brockport.
Established by former students in memory of Mrs. Wehmeyer, who taught English at Olean High School for 42 years, this $1,000 scholarship is awarded to an Olean High senior who excels in writing.
Along with these scholarships, several students received awards from their schools through grants given by funds at the Community Foundation.
Cuba-Rushford High School awarded two graduating seniors each $2,500 scholarships in memory of Kaleigh Wilday, who would have graduated in 2012, through a grant from the Kaleigh Wilday Endowment Fund. The recipients are Caleb Holmes and Kyle Lockwood.
A grant from the Kaleigh Wilday Endowment Fund made possible $1,000 scholarship in Kaleigh’s memory at Jamestown Community College in Olean for a graduating senior of Cuba-Rushford High. This year’s recipient is Hannah Drew Gaeta.
Olean High School awarded the Robert Lax Arts & Poetry Award to Stephen Ahl. This $1,000 award was through the Olean City School District Fund through a special gift from Marcia Marcus Kelly.