Looking for a rewarding position that makes a difference?
Join our growing team at the Cattaraugus Region Community Foundation and help Grow Good in our region.
Accounting and Finance Manager
DESCRIPTION AND REPORTING
This position reports to the Executive Director and has overall responsibility for designing, maintaining and monitoring the Foundation’s financial, accounting and investment systems in adherence to Foundation policies. This position also assists with developing the Foundation budget and monitoring it.
MAJOR SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintains accounting records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Performs day-to-day accounting and internal control activities and ensures adherence to all IRS, FASB and NYPMIFA regulations and accounting policies and procedures.
- Processes all payables for grants and operations.
- Verifies and maintains accounts payable, accounts receivable and associated records.
- Reconciles bank statements, money market account and donation deposit in software in a timely manner according to timeline in procedures manual.
- Completes, maintains and updates accounting policies and procedures manual.
- With the Executive Director helps to develop the annual operating and grants budgets, including the fund distribution calculations spreadsheet. Calculates and updates each fund’s available-to-spend amounts on a regular basis and in accordance with the Foundation’s current spending policy;
- Monitors approved operating and grants budgets, including allocation of restricted and unrestricted funds approved for grants.
- Ensures that all contributions are deposited, credited to the proper funds and administered according to the specific fund agreements and CRCF policies. Posts gifts to GL in software system. Processes paperwork to investment firm for donation deposits and fund transfers as needed for operations and grant distributions.
- Reconciles fund accounts in a timely manner according to policies and procedures timeline.
- Prepares fund statements for donor/fund representatives according to fund agreements and/or donor requests (yearly, quarterly or monthly) and promptly prepares any additional information requested by fund representatives.
- Prepares financials (monthly operating financials and balance sheets) for the Finance Committee and board meetings in a timely manner.
- Processes payroll information and completes transfers for payroll.
- Prepares IRA transfers to retirement accounts.
- Prepares requested schedules, documents and files for annual audit.
- Maintains CRCF financial records in an orderly and organized fashion.
- Ensures policies are followed and documentation maintained to maintain tax exempt status of CRCF.
- Reviews custodial and investment management statements and posts appropriate entries to the database in a timely manner using software to manage investment data. Reconciles monthly investment statements.
- Monitors cash flow requirements and manages CRCF cash to maximize the return on its investment.
- Maintains a working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel and Outlook and CRCF’s database systems, currently FIMS (Foundation Information Management System).
- Prepares various analytical reports as needed.
- Perform maintenance functions on the database as needed.
- Assists with implementation of software updates or new software systems.
- Prepares grants log for processing grants and creating merge cover letters and enters data from all grant applications into FIMS.
- Prepares grants reports for committee and board meetings.
- Processes grant checks and mails responses with cover letters.
- Monitors fund distribution balances annually and updates distribution spreadsheets.
- Monitors and tracks grant compliance.
- When grants are awarded in form of gift cards, purchases gift cards.
- Adheres to CRCF policies and procedures, including those which relate to conflict of interest and confidentiality.
- Assists with Foundation events as needed.
- Helps with office coverage (answers phones, greets guests, etc.) as needed/back-up.
- Fulfills other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Participates in relevant professional development and with professional associations.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and 2-4 years experience with fund accounting at a foundation or nonprofit or 4-6 of generalized accounting experience.
Technical skills and competencies
- Proficient in using accounting software and spreadsheets.
- Knowledgeable of fund accounting and tax principles related to nonprofit organizations.
- Proficient in Microsoft applications such as Windows, Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Experienced with database management including data entry, report creation and analytics. Experience with FIMS, Raiser’s Edge or similar software a plus.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Proven ability to organize tasks and work flow and to meet deadlines.
- Must be accurate and detail-oriented.
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Pleasant and collegial
- Responds to requests in a timely, appropriate and professional manner.
- Team player
- Problem solver
- Maintains confidentiality
HOW TO APPLY:
Email resume and cover letter to Cattaraugus Region Community Foundation, Attn. Search Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A review of applications will begin January 5.